Sam G. Sherman’s practice focuses on defending and advising California employers on various aspects of employment law. His advice practice involves assisting employers on compliance with California’s labor and employment laws, drafting employee handbooks, auditing employee/independent contractor designations, separation agreements, and all other areas of employment law.
Mr. Sherman also specializes in defending corporations in employment related lawsuits. This work ranges from defending employment claims alleging individual and class action wage and hour violations as well as individual claims for harassment, discrimination, retaliation, and wrongful termination.
Finally, Mr. Sherman also spends a considerable portion of his practice defending school districts and other public entities in all areas of litigation. This includes personal injury, employment, and student sexual assault.
An experienced trial lawyer, Sam G. Sherman has served as lead trial counsel for businesses and individuals in various bench and jury trials.
Mr. Sherman also devotes his spare time to community involvement. He has served as past co-chair of the San Diego County Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law Section. He currently serves on the board of directors for Serving Seniors-a San Diego based non-profit organization focused on feeding, housing, and educating low-income seniors.
Mr. Sherman graduated in 1999 from the University of California, Los Angeles with a bachelor’s degree in political science and a minor in policy studies. Mr. Sherman received his juris doctorate in 2003 from the University of San Diego School of Law.
During his time at the University of San Diego School of Law, Mr. Sherman was a member of the Mock Trial team and received various awards and recognitions for his trial skills at competitions in California and Arizona.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Law
- Business Litigation
- California, 2003
- University of San Diego School of Law, San Diego, California
- J.D. – 2003
- University of California, Los Angeles, California
- B.A. – 1999
- Major: Political Science
- Minor: Policy Studies
- Drafting Executive Employment Agreements, San Diego County Bar Association
- Employment Issues in M&A Transactions, Provisors
- Disability Discrimination, San Diego County Bar Association, 2013 – Present
- Class Actions, San Diego County Bar Association, 2012 – Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of California
- San Diego County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Higgs Fletcher & Mack, Partner, 2006 – 2013
- Balestreri, Pendleton & Potocki, Associate, 2003 – 2006
Pro Bono Activities
- Senior Community Centers Board Member, 2010 – Present